Stampa

Versione Italiana Versione Pagina in Italiano

HISTORY

 

Panorama Morro

Until the mid 19th century the town was known as ‘Morro’ a name most probably derived from the pre Roman term ‘muur’ or ‘moor’ which signifies altitude and rock.

The 14th century town walls form a covered walkway known locally as ‘La Scarpa’. The walkway also features six pentagonal towers. Views from ‘La Scarpa’ are of a traditional Marche landscape. The panorama

includes cultivated hillsides with vineyards, olive groves and fields of wheat and sunflowers, the myriad of colours changes with every season.

Remains of two Roman villas’ have been found in the hamlet of Sant’Amico along with Roman coins and medallions.

The town, strategically positioned, has been ruled by both Jesi and Senigallia and control of the town was fiercely fought for over many centuries. The town, like many other hilltop towns in the area suffered various assaults, looting and pillaging. Finally in 1861 when Italy was united the town gained it’s own autonomy and was renamed Morro D’Alba in 1862.

 

View of Morro d'Alba's square

Theodorico's Roman Medallion