Stampa

 

 

 

THE CASTELLO (1)

The castle walls form an irregular pentagon shape with towers and look out balconies along the way. ‘La Scarpa’ is unique in Italy as the only example of a covered walkway circling the town, with coastal views from Sengiallia to Monte Conero in one direction and the foothills of the Appenines as far as the sibillini mountains in the other.

The clock tower rising above the town features the symbol of the town of Jesi, a rampant lion. The gateway into the town, once with moat surrounding it, was repositioned in the early twentieth century.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Morro d'alba's Castle

THE PARISH CHURCH OF SAN GAUDENZIO (2)

Situated inside the town walls, the church represents a fine example of 18th century architecture. Recently restored to its former glory, the church contains various interesting artworks and also the burial urn of Saint Telecuncia (which was originally in the church of the SS Annunziata, also situated in Morro D’Alba).

 

 

 

 

 


Chiesa di San Gaudenzio

THE CHURCH OF SANTISSIMO SACRAMENTO (3)

Constructed in the first half of the 17th century, this church as a richly decorated wooden altar, a model of the ‘Santa Casa’ (holy house) of Loreto, which is finished in painted wood with figures also of Mary and baby Jesus. The church is also home to a collection of religious procession lanterns dating back to the 17th and 18th centuries.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chiesa del SS. Sacramento

THE CHURCH OF SAN BENEDETTO (4)

Completed in 1512, the building of this church was the initiative of the community of Morro D’Alba alongside the brotherhood of San Benedetto. Displayed within the church are numerous works of art dating from the late 16th and early 17th centuries.


Altare Chiesa San Benedetto

THE CHURCH OF SANTA MARIA DEL FIORE (5)

This rural church, situated on a small road of the same name, was reconstructed on the site of a former sacred building. The church contains frescoes and other decorative works dating from the late 17th and early 18th centuries.


Affreschi Chiesa S.Maria del Fiore

THE CHURCH OF SANT’AMICO (6)

Situated in the hamlet of the same name, this rural church was built in 1587 but was abandoned and disused by the early 20th century. The church was restored in the late 1980’s.

Chiesa di S. Amico

THE TOWN HALL AND PICTURE GALLERY (7)

Constructed between 1763 and 1775 the town hall contains various artworks, once housed in some of the local churches.


Tela Incoronazione di C. Ridolfi

AUDITORIUM SS. ANNUZIATA (8)

Now deconsecrated, this former church was built in 1670 and closed in 1972 due to earthquake damage. Formerly also known as the Church of Saint Telecunania, it housed the burial urn of this saint from 1836 to 1985. The building was restored in 1997 and now hosts conferences, cultural events and exhibitions.

Auditorium SS. Annunziata

THE UTENSIL MUSEUM AND VAULTS OF THE TOWN WALLS (9)

the museum is situated in the underground vaults of the town hall building, with an entrance via ‘la scarpa’, the covered walkway of the town walls. The museum captures  the essence of everyday life in this rural area when sharecropping was prevalent. A selection of trades with the relevant tools and machinery, often hand crafted by the local sharecropping farmers are on display.

The town walls can also be explored in their entirety via the underground vaults which are connected by small galleries along the way. Small air vents illuminate parts of the passageway.

Museo Utensilia

THE FOUNTAIN(10)

Situated in the centre of Piazza Tarsetti, inaugurated in 2000, the fountain features designs from Enzo Cucchi, a contemporary artist of international fame, born in Morro D’Alba.

Fontana di E. Cucchi

THE MUD AND STRAW BARN (5)

Situated just outside the town itself, along the small road ‘Santa Maria del Fiore’ lies the only remaining example of a mud and straw construction that was common to the area during the sharecropping years when many people were extremely poor. The structure which consists solely of mud and straw is thought to date back to the mid 19th century. The building remains original, although some safety measures have been taken to ensure that it remains intact.

Capanna di Terra